Countryside Properties PLC (“the Group”) is a specialist development company recognised in particular for the creation of sustainable communities and urban and rural regeneration. This involves land acquisition, planning and design, development and construction management, lettings and property sales. In undertaking some of these activities, the Group recognises that it has an impact on the environment.
The Group wishes to be acknowledged as an industry leader in its approach to care of the environment and addressing climate change, in the execution of its developments and in its working practices. The Group’s objective is to ensure that development realises the desired financial returns whilst in an environmentally responsible and sustainable manner. We undertake to deal effectively with both the direct and indirect effects of climate change. To achieve this, the Group commits to:
Reduce the direct effects of climate change from its operations by:
• Monitoring and reducing energy, water consumption and waste generation at its offices, construction sites and sales offices.
• Monitoring and reducing its emissions from business travel.
Address the indirect effects of climate change from its operations by:
• Using its Land Acquisition Checklist to ensure that potential climate change risks, such as flood risk, are identified and assessed.
• Ensuring climate change considerations are incorporated into the planning, specification and design process through improving the energy, water and material efficiency of the buildings and the provision of appropriate recycling and waste reduction facilities.
• Fully implementing and monitoring the effectiveness of its Procurement Policy to ensure that it minimises the ‘buy in’ of climate change impacts through the purchase of goods and services.
• Engaging with its customers to demonstrate how its developments aim to minimise potential climate change impacts.
Specific targets to achieve the above objectives are defined within our annually reviewed corporate objectives and targets, which form part of its externally certified Environmental Management System. An annual update of its sustainability performance is provided within the Group’s Sustainability Report.
Climate change issues are recognised to be a concern throughout its activities and management responsibility has been allocated to individuals both at Board level and throughout the business. This, is driven by the Environment and Quality Committee. The implementation of this Policy is undertaken as part of its overall commitment to promoting sustainable development as reflected in its Sustainable Development Policy. It will maintain effective dialogue with its stakeholders in support of achieving this policy.
This Policy is regularly reviewed and supported by a number of issue specific policies and procedures. These policies and details of the Group's environmental targets can be viewed on the Group's website at www.countryside-properties-corporate.com/policies
20th September 2013
Information correct as at 29/10/2013