Great Notley Garden Village is a strategically important new community which has achieved national recognition and local success.
Great Notley Garden Village is a free standing new "garden village" designed as a balanced community on a 465 acre green field site, adjacent to the A120/A131 south-west of Braintree, Essex.
- 2,000 mixed tenure dwellings.
- 500,000 sq ft business park.
- Neighbourhood shopping centre.
- Extensive community and leisure facilities.
- 180 acres of public open space including a 100 acre country park, a village green and extensive structural landscaping.
- Motorist's service area.
Great Notley was designed with a high degree of self-sustainment. It comprises three distinct hamlets, each with its own character and identity. The hamlets are linked by a village spine road. Notley Green hamlet has as its focal point the 6 acre village green, a tree lined avenue approach and a village centre. Oaklands Manor hamlet is centred around a new manor house. The design of Panners Farm hamlet is based around a group of existing farm buildings.
The garden village has pioneered a new approach to estate road layout including innovative traffic calming to create a 20 mph zone throughout the entire residential area.
Planning Gain Package
The following items have been provided at no cost to public funds:
- 145 homes for rent.
- A new by-pass to the existing A131 London Road.
- A community centre.
- A discovery and leisure centre including sports pitches & an all weather surface.
- A 100 acre country park including lakes and the 'Great Notley Bowl' an open-air amphitheatre with capacity for 10,000 people.
- 3 strategic playgrounds.
- An extension to the existing Primary school to provide an educational day nursery.
- A second primary school site.
- Financial contributions to cover the cost of maintaining the public open spaces and towards improving town centre facilities.
The main focus behind Great Notley Garden Village is the maintenance of a high quality of life for all residents which has been achieved by creating a self-sufficient and sustainable community that provides:
- A programme of community involvement, that includes an active Community Association, Village Liaison Group and a Charitable Trust.
- A high quality urban and landscape design clearly evident in house designs and street patterns that emulate traditional English villages and reflect and strengthen the character of the local landscape.
- Pedestrian friendly neighbourhoods enhanced by traffic calming measures throughout the residential areas of the village and a network of pedestrian and cycle ways.
- Landscaping integrated at design stage, including a 100 acre country park and a network of green spaces to give the village a degree of local distinctiveness seldom achieved in such new developments.
- An innovative approach to sustainability, including a lake that doubles as a reed bed filtration system for surface water run-off and the UK's first sustainable school.
- A strategically important new community that has achieved national recognition and local success.
2,000 new homes have been completed at Great Notley.
The 500,000 sq. ft. business park known as Skyline120 is proving to be highly successful and many of the buildings have been occupied. It is providing a wide range of commercial space including industrial, warehouse and office accommodation targeted at both local businesses and multinationals looking to relocate into one of the Government's major growth corridors. Braintree District Council is very pleased with the success of Skyline 120 and has resolved that the scheme should more than double in size in future years.
For further information visit www.skyline120.com
Information correct as at 20/09/2010