- The Company, which was incorporated in 1958, was founded by Alan Cherry.
- In its infancy the Company carried out small residential developments in Essex and East London.
- In 1972 the Company was floated on the London Stock Exchange.
- Residential development operations continued to expand.
- Commercial property development activities commenced.
- Work began on our first new community development at Chelmer Village, Chelmsford.
- Graham and Richard Cherry joined as Graduate Management Trainees in 1980 and 1982.
- Our involvement in affordable housing and design and build contracting began.
- Works began on several new sustainable mixed-use community projects, including the award winning Great Notley Garden Village, Braintree.
- In 1995 the Five Estates project by the Peckham Partnership, one of the Country's largest regeneration schemes, got underway.
- In 1996 our regional operation in the North of England was started.
- In 1998, in partnership with Taylor Woodrow, we were selected by English Partnerships to carry out the first of the Millennium communities - Greenwich Millennium Village.
- Selected in 2001 for the residential element of Sports City which has spearheaded the regeneration of East Manchester.
- In 2005 Copthorn Holdings Ltd, a 50:50 joint venture between the Cherry family and the Bank of Scotland, part of Lloyds Banking Group, acquired control of Countryside Properties PLC.
- £450 million of financial facility were put in place by the Bank of Scotland.
- In 2005 Countryside Properties won the UK Housebuilder of the Year and Sustainable Housebuilder.
- Record operating profits of £52.6 million were reported by the Company for its first full financial year (in 2006) following the Management Buy Out.
- In 2008 Countryside celebrated its 50th anniversary and Accordia in Cambridge was the first residential scheme to receive architecture’s premier award the RIBA Stirling Prize.
- A Commercial development programme of 5 million sq ft.
- A £5.8 billion programme in total covering every aspect of development, including private housebuilding, commercial property, mixed-use and mixed-tenure schemes and recreational and community facilities.
- During the decade we received more than 260 awards for design, regeneration and sustainability.
- Our founder and Chairman, Alan Cherry CBE DL passes away on 23rd January 2010 at the age of 76.
- Andrew Carr-Locke is appointed Executive Chairman in April 2010.
- In 2013 Oaktree Capital Management makes a substantial equity investment into the Company and acquires a majority interest, with the Cherry family continuing to hold a significant share. Lloyds Banking Group provides a new 5 year committed debt facility.
Information correct as at 16/04/2013